Crime Prevention and Safety Tips
The following is a list of useful tips which will make your stay at the University of Guelph a safer and more enjoyable one.
Also read about Bike Safety, Identity Theft, and Sexual Assault.
- Download the SafeGryphon App for quick access to Campus Safety Office resources and useful safety tools.
- Store the University of Guelph emergency number 519-840-5000 in your cell phone. If you feel uncomfortable, frightened or observe suspicious activity, please call immediately for Campus Safety Office assistance.
- When you leave your room or office, even for a moment, always keep your door locked. Do not prop open or disengage the locking system on your door. NEVER allow anyone you don’t know or anyone who you know is not unauthorized to enter a locked building when entering or exiting.
- Never leave your property unattended, even for a moment, in any university building. Laptops and cell phones are a popular target for thieves.
- Be familiar with the locations of the blue light emergency phones. There are more than 40 outside emergency phones located in strategic areas across campus and well as numerous others in University buildings. Pay phones have buttons which automatically dial “911” and “2000”.
- If you are out walking after dark, take well-lit routes and designated pathways. Use the “buddy system” or make use of the SafeWalk program for after hours escorts. Advise your room-mates of where you are going and when you should be returning.
- Know your neighbours in residence and do not be reluctant to report suspicious persons or activities
- Record serial numbers of your property, i.e. laptops, cell phones, bicycles, etc. Engrave a serial number familiar to you, i.e. your driver’s license on your property so it can be easily identified. Buy a lock for your laptop and bicycle and take advantage of the STOP program offered by the Campus Safety Office to identify and protect your property
- Remember, the University of Guelph Campus Safety Office are available 24 hours each day, 365 days each year to serve your needs. If you observe a crime, require help or need advice, do not hesitate to contact us at ext. 52245 or 519-840-5000